Part four of my series for third sector managers in one-to-ones. Finally, five questions to wrap things up:
1. So, what will you do next? When? (help them to get really specific)
2. What strengths do you have that will help you?
3. How committed are you to overcoming obstacles, on a scale of 1 – 10?
4. How do you suppose things might turn out?
5. How would you like to feed back progress?
It can be challenging to take time to listen and let your team member explore their own solutions, especially if this is a new way of working, Under pressure, many managers’ default approach is a session of ‘one-to-one instruction’ which is not at all efficient either in terms of their time or progress made. A coachly approach, though, when consistently put in place, can totally transform an individuals’ performance.
Katie Duckworth helps third sector organisations to support their managers to bring out the very best in their teams. If you’d like to talk to me about how I can support your managers, give me a call me on 0208 772 7808 or contact me here for a no-obligation chat.